Home / FAQ / Staff / Downloads / Site Map /
The Conservators' House is located in the hamlet of Clayhithe between Waterbeach and Horningsea, Cambridge. The House was built in 1842 and was used by the Conservators for their meetings. This is an ideal location for the River Foreman who resides here with his family. In the grounds there are two workshops where the river team carry out a wide range of maintenance and engineering work.
This picture was taken just outside the main workshop. The team spend a lot of time removing bikes and trolleys from the river, most of which are thrown in deliberately.
They have a wide range of duties including weed cutting, lock maintenance, tree cutting, bank piling, salvage and of course managing river levels. All the machinery and vehicles at their disposal are repaired and maintained in house by both Foreman and Deputy Foreman including specialist hydraulic repairs.
To keep the weed under control the team use a custom made Berkenheger Weed Harvester more commonly known as ‘Berky’.
This picture shows her being delivered to the Clayhithe Workshop.
To see Berky in action visit the our Gallery At Work Page where there are many more pictures. When not in use you can see her moored just passed the slipway at the Clayhithe workshop opposite the Bridge Hotel.
The navigation authority for the River Cam since 1702.
© The River Cam Conservancy 2006
Honey Web Design